Skip to main content

Latest book news



I haven't had a book release for quite a while so it is with great pleasure and some relief that 'Finding Rose' has finally made it to the shelves - well, to Amazon at any rate.  I don't know about you but I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous.

                                                                             

It is completely different from my usual Greek island mysteries and took the best part of two years to write. Why so long? It was inspired in part by my father's last days. As he lay in hospital, he came out with quite a few random sentences and non-sequiturs no doubt as a result of the morphine he was given. However, I began to wonder if perhaps they meant something to him. What if my father was re-living a previous life? This was the catalyst for my story. Naturally, it was very difficult emotionally to write a book that invoked so many bitter-sweet memories although it was also cathartic. It also gave me a chance to incorporate a period I love, the time of the Tudors, as my character exhorts his daughters to 'Find Rose' - a journey that will take them to the Courts of HenryVIII and Elizabeth I.

The other inspiration for my book came from my grandfather. I knew he had lied about his age, being only 16, to join up during WW1 and that he was at the Front during the battle of the Somme. Wounded and left for dead, somehow he survived but it was something he never talked about. I only have vague memories of him as he died when I was six. However, with 2018 marking the centenary of the end of WW1, I knew I wanted to include the Great War as background to my novel and also as a tribute to him. With just a few of his notes that he made regarding the key events of the war, the rest was all down to research.

Amazon UK

Amazon US

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shall I let you into a secret? Research or not to research?

Readers often ask me how much research goes into my books? Now if you mean checking facts on the Internet or doing a google search then I would say quite a lot. For my latest book, Finding Rose , I found I needed to do rather a lot more 'real' research, especially since this is a contemporary novel with a strong historical aspect. As part of the book is set in Tudor England (my favourite period) then it called for some more serious research in the way of visiting actual buildings. For a flavour of Tudor life then The Tudor house in Worcester is excellent. As you walk through the entrance, you are immediately transported back five hundred years. The physical sense of people treading the same floorboards as you all that time ago is very evocative and you half expect to encounter someone in Tudor dress just round the corner. Okay, so the staff have been known to dress up but it certainly adds to the ghostlike atmosphere. The Tudor house has been used for almost anything

What it's really like to go on a writing retreat

Those of you who know me will realise that I write novels set in Greece. Having lived in Athens and Alexandroupolis in the 1980s, that's the period I'm most familiar with. I've been back on holiday to the islands since then but for the last few years life has just got in the way so a return trip hasn't been possible. Knowing how much I've needed and wanted to return, for research purposes of course, my hubby offered to take time off from his job to enable me to attend a writing retreat and get inspiration for my next book. For months I pored over different websites unable to decide between a tutored retreat or more of a writing holiday. In the end, the latter won, mainly because of dates and cost. The typically Greek photos set against the backdrop of stunning blue sea on the website won me over and I couldn't wait to visit 'Limnisa' in the Peloponnese. Owned by Anglo-Dutch couple, Mariel and Philip, they open their home for just a few weeks