Skip to main content

Why I write about Greece


                                                                                  


I’ve been asked a few times about the setting for my Greek Island Trilogy. Is it a real island? Which one? What was it like living there? Well, first of all I was compelled to write about Greece after living there during my twenties. I’ve always wanted to write but funnily enough until I started writing the Greek mysteries, I never got beyond penning a few short stories.
My fascination with Greece began as a child when I was given a book about ancient Greece. I absorbed the myths and legends and couldn’t believe that such an idyllic, magical place really existed. Blue became my favourite colour and I dreamed of visiting these mysterious islands where Odysseus, Athina, Zeus and Hector once lived.
It remained just a dream until I finished University when I got a job as a language teacher in Alexandroupolis in the North-East of Greece. I hadn’t heard of it either but it sounded nice, a small town by the sea. My first experience of Greece, however, wasn’t the lovely blue and white houses of the Cyclades. I arrived in Thessaloniki in the middle of the night after a three- day rail journey. It was nearly 3am by the time I got to a hotel and just a few hours later when I was woken up by car horns blaring. Thinking there must have been some national catastrophe, I gingerly looked out of the window to see the beginning of the normal rush-hour traffic.
It was the coach journey to Alexandroupolis passing through Kavala where I got my first glimpse of the ‘real’ Greece. The sky was the bluest I’ve ever seen, the spring flowers were starting to bloom and there were goats grazing on rocky outcrops and scrubland. The scents wafted in on the breeze and it was as if time just slowed down. We passed women in black, donkeys and men passing the time of day in the kafeneion. I have no idea why but it started to feel like home even though it was all so different from anything I’d experienced before.
I found the Greek people to be extremely hospitable even if they had very little themselves. The ritual of jam on a spoon reflected this hospitality and strangers would often send over a drink when we were in a taverna or the waiter would offer a digestif on the house.
It was the opportunity to visit the islands that made me think I’d found my little piece of Heaven. There can be few countries with such a diverse range of islands and dramatic scenery yet which remain so sparsely populated. Of course, the main islands are very touristy yet there are far more where it’s easy to find a little cove or ‘undiscovered’ beach. After spending a year in Athens, just as amazing but a totally different experience, I vowed to keep returning. Among my favourites are Aegina, Rhodes, Corfu, Kalymnos and Crete.
How could I choose just one island on which to set my books? The answer is that I couldn’t. My island is in my head and a combination of all the different places I’ve visited. So much so that until now I haven’t even given it a name. Some readers have said they would have preferred a real place, others say it’s nice to be transported to an imaginary place. What do you think? If you can come up with a great name for a Greek Island, I might just use it and credit you in the next book. I only ever planned to write one book and now book three is about to be published. I’m toying with the idea of a fourth book just so long as my readers continue to want to read more of my mysteries.


Julie book line up                                                                                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first Greek Christmas

Welcome to a special post where I have the opportunity to introduce five other Greek biased bloggers via a Christmas blog hop. First though, at this special time of year, I'd like to tell you about the first Christmas I spent in Greece. My first Greek Christmas                                        I remember feeling quite excited about spending my first Christmas in Greece. Of course, it would be different and I'd miss my family but not having the money to fly back to the UK, I told myself this would be a Christmas to remember. Working in Athens back in 1986, I was particularly looking forward to a few days of peace and quiet on the nearby island of Aegina. Having visited the island during the summer, it had fast become a favourite and when a Greek friend offered us the chance to spend the holiday at his family's villa there, we jumped at the chance. Not knowing what facilities, if any, would be open on Christmas Day, I packed a bag with a few essentials, and our

Latest book news

I haven't had a book release for quite a while so it is with great pleasure and some relief that 'Finding Rose' has finally made it to the shelves - well, to Amazon at any rate.  I don't know about you but I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous.                                                                               It is completely different from my usual Greek island mysteries and took the best part of two years to write. Why so long? It was inspired in part by my father's last days. As he lay in hospital, he came out with quite a few random sentences and non-sequiturs no doubt as a result of the morphine he was given. However, I began to wonder if perhaps they meant something to him. What if my father was re-living a previous life? This was the catalyst for my story. Naturally, it was very difficult emotionally to write a book that invoked so many bitter-sweet memories although it was also cathartic. It also gave me a chance to incorporate a perio

Shall I let you into a secret? Research or not to research?

Readers often ask me how much research goes into my books? Now if you mean checking facts on the Internet or doing a google search then I would say quite a lot. For my latest book, Finding Rose , I found I needed to do rather a lot more 'real' research, especially since this is a contemporary novel with a strong historical aspect. As part of the book is set in Tudor England (my favourite period) then it called for some more serious research in the way of visiting actual buildings. For a flavour of Tudor life then The Tudor house in Worcester is excellent. As you walk through the entrance, you are immediately transported back five hundred years. The physical sense of people treading the same floorboards as you all that time ago is very evocative and you half expect to encounter someone in Tudor dress just round the corner. Okay, so the staff have been known to dress up but it certainly adds to the ghostlike atmosphere. The Tudor house has been used for almost anything